March 5, 2013
It was with profound and searing grief that our people and the Revolutionary Government learned about the decease of President Hugo Chávez Frías and are therefore preparing to pay a heartfelt and patriotic tribute to him, for he will go down in history as a Hero of Our America.
We convey our sincere condolences to his parents, brothers, daughters and son as well as all of his relatives, whom we feel are already ours, for Chávez is also a son of Cuba, Latin America, the Caribbean and the whole world.
In this moment of profound sorrow, we share our deepest feelings of solidarity with the brother people of Venezuela, whom we will continue to accompany under any circumstances.
The Bolivarian Revolution will be able to count on our resolute and unrestricted support at these difficult moments.
We reiterate our support, encouragement and confidence in victory to our comrades of the Bolivarian political and military leadership and the Venezuelan Government.
President Chávez has been waging an extraordinary battle throughout his young and fruitful life. We will always remember him as a patriotic military to the service of Venezuela and the Bigger Homeland; as an honest, clear-sighted, audacious and courageous revolutionary fighter; as a leader and supreme commander in whom Bolivar reincarnated in order to conclude what he had left unfinished; as the founder of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America and the Community of Latin America and Caribbean States.
His heroic and indefatigable struggle against death is an insuperable example of firmness. The admirable commitment shown by his doctors and nurses have been a feat of humanism and dedication.
The return of the President to his beloved Venezuelan homeland changed the course of history. “We have a homeland”, he exclaimed, filled with emotion, on December 8 last, and he returned to his homeland to confront the biggest risks imposed by his disease. Nothing and no one could ever take away from the Venezuelan people the homeland that they have recovered.
The work of Chávez emerges undefeated before our eyes. The achievements attained by the revolutionary people who saved him from the coup orchestrated on April of 2002, who have followed him without hesitations, are already irreversible.
The Cuban people considers him to be one of its most outstanding sons and has admired, followed and loved him as if he were its own. Chávez is also Cuban! He also suffered our difficulties and problems and did everything he could, with extraordinary generosity, especially during the harshest years of the Special Period. He accompanied Fidel as a true son and forged a very close friendship with Raúl.
He excelled in all the international battles against imperialism, always in defense of the poor, the workers and our peoples. Filled with passion, persuasively, eloquently, ingeniously and excitedly he spoke from the roots of the peoples; he sang our joys and recited our passionate verses with ever-lasting heroism.
The tens of thousands of Cubans who work in Venezuela will pay tribute to him through the fervent accomplishment of the international duty and will continue to accompany, with honor and altruism, the heroic deeds of the Bolivarian people.
Cuba will remain forever loyal to the memory and the legacy of Commander President Chávez and will continue to pursue his ideals in favor of the unity of the revolutionary, integration and independence forces of Our America.
His example will guide us in our future battles.
Ever Onwards to Victory!
The world mourns Chavez with respectful states (Haiti, Cuba, Uruguay, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Peru, Belarus, Iran, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, China and Nigeria) decreeing multiple days of national mourning.
The following is a list of articles/tributes (in progress)(no particular order):
- Evo Morales: Chavez is More Alive than Ever, Prensa Latina, La Paz, March 6, 2013
- Images: En fotos y videos: las impresionantes tomas aéreas de la despedida del presidente Hugo Chávez, Noticias24, Venezuela
- Chavez’s Triumph, by ANDRE VLTCHEK, Counterpunch, March 6, 2013
- El comandante has left the building – By Pepe Escobar, Asia Times, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez: New World Rising – Glen Ford, Black Agenda Report, March 6, 2013
- Not One Step Backward, Ni Un Paso Atrás, Preparing for a Post-Chávez Venezuela – by George Ciccariello-Maher, Counterpunch, March 6, 2013
- HUGO CHAVEZ, EL LIBERTADOR, Mohawk Nation News, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chávez kept his promise to the people of Venezuela – Oscar Guardiola-Rivera, Guardian.co.uk, March 6, 2013
- On the Legacy of Hugo Chávez, Greg Grandin, The Nation, March 5, 2013 The Achievements of Hugo Chavez, by Carles Muntaner, Joan Benach, Maria Paez Victor, Counterpunch, Dec 14-16, 2012
- Two Deaths in Venezuela Weightier than Mount Tai, onkwehonwerising, March 6, 2013
- Cuba: Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro’s Lost Heir, Havana Times, March 5, 2013
- Cuba Mourns Hugo Chavez, Havana Times, March 6, 2013
- The War You Don’t See, John Pilger
- Statement of the Revolutionary Government: Farewell, Commander – Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations, Wrong Kind of Green., March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez 1954-2013, Jody McIntyre, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez – undefeated, Derrick O’Keefe, Green Left, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez’ legacy in Haiti and Latin America, Kim Ives, Haiti Liberte, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez: How he brought heating oil to Native Americans, Censored News, March 6, 2013
- Robert Free ‘Remembering Hugo Chavez’ Part II Amazon, Censored News, March 6, 2013
- Hugo Chavez, Dream Maker, Eva Golinger, Venezuelan Analysis, March 7, 2013
- Chavez Isn’t Dead, He Lives On with Bolivar and Mart, Elio Delgado Legon, Havana Times, March 7, 2013
- A Salute to Hugo Chavez: Revolutionary, Ally, Martyr, Percy Francisco Alvarado Godoy , Descubriendo verdades, March 7, 2013
- “Comandante, donde esté usted, gracias, mil veces gracias”: Nicolás Maduro, Cuba Debate, March 5, 2013
- Excellent Compilation of articles, Venezuelan Analysis
- Chávez’s Chief Legacy: Building, with People, an Alternative Society to Capitalism, Marta Harnecker, Monthly Review, March 7, 2013
- Chavez Beats the Devil, Again, Glen Ford, Black Agenda Report, October 9, 2012
- In Death as in Life, Chávez Target of Media Scorn, His independence, help for Venezuela’s poor will not be forgiven, Fair Media Advisory, March 6, 2013
- Chavez, une autre victime de la CIA?, Iran French Radio, March 7, 2013
- Outpouring of Solidarity Statements and Condolences for the Venezuelan People [+Photos], Venezuelan Analyses
- The Chávez victory will be felt far beyond Latin America, Seumas Milne , The Guardian, October 9, 2012
- Venezuela orders U.S. Embassy attache to leave country, LA Times, March 5, 2013
- Chavez, Craig Murray, March 6, 2013
- Remembering Hugo Chavez: An Eternal Friend of the Caribbean, Kevin Edmonds, NACLA, March 7, 2013
- Hugo Chavez was a humble man who transformed the world – Rick Rozoff, John Robles, March 7, 2013
- Hugo Chavez, Anti-Imperialist Stalwart: 1954-2013, Antonio Moren, Anti-Imperialism.com, March 7, 2013
- Malcolm X Grassroots Movement & New Afrikan People’s Organization Statement on the Passing of President Hugo Chavez Frias, March 8, 2013, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
- U.S. and Canada Isolated as Latin American Leaders Acknowledge Chávez’s Regional Leadership, March 8, 2013, Sara Kozameh, Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Hugo Chávez Frías: An Unforgettable and Victorious Permanence, Maximilian Fort, Zero Anthropology, March 8, 2013
- Comunicado, Partido Socialista Unido de Venezuela, March 8, 2013
- “Commander, they could not beat you, they will never beat us”, Caracas, March 8, 2013, AVN.
- A red salute to Comrade Hugo Chavez!, Red Youth, March 6, March 8, 2013
- Mohawk Women rallied with Hugo Chavez against Colonial Oppression, Censored News, March 8, 2013
- Why Do Venezuelan Women Vote for Chavez?, Maria Paez Victor, Counterpunch, April 25th 2012
- Hugo Chavez proves you can lead a progressive, popular government that says no to neo-liberalism, Owen Jones, The Independent, Oct 8, 2012
- The Future of the Human Race | The Most Eloquent Speech to the United Nations in 2011, Canadians for Action on Climate Change, Nov 18, 2011
- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised – Chavez: Inside the Coup [If there was ever an inspiring film - this is it. If you have never watched it before it is essential viewing. It clearly demonstrates how imperative it is to understand manipulation by media, who are, like the non-profit industrial complex, an extension of hegemonic rule. Further, the film demonstrates the power of the people when it is understood that power concedes nothing without demand.]